Re: [GSoC] Make WebKit run on top of GNUstep

From: David Chisnall
Subject: Re: [GSoC] Make WebKit run on top of GNUstep
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 14:53:51 +0100

Hi Daniel,

I don’t have time to mentor this year, unfortunately, but it’s great to see
someone interested in this.

In an ideal world, the way of doing the port would be to very simply implement
all of the missing functionality in GNUstep, but that’s likely to be a huge
amount of work.  That said, WebCore has a number of porting layers for
platforms that don’t provide all of these frameworks and many of them work by
providing the required functionality (or falling back to some other library).
I can see three possible ways of managing a port, in increasing order of
difficulty:

 - Implement the WebView classes wrapping something like Nuanti Meta or the
Chromium Embedded Framework.  This would use non-GNUstep widgets, but still
basically work.

 - Implement a new port that would use GNUstep widgets for buttons, text views,
and other form elements, but use non-GNUstep everything else (text layout with
whatever the GTK / Qt ports use and so on)

 - Implement all of the missing Cocoa APIs that WebKit needs and do a simple
recompile.

The second is these is probably the most useful, though it’s probably out of
scope for a single GSoC project.  It might be feasible to put together
something to do this incrementally, for example using the portable widgets that
Chrome added and incrementally replace them with GNUstep ones.  The first has
the biggest short-term payoff, but dramatically limits the things that you can
do with the resulting WebView.

One smaller project that might be interesting and feasible within the GSoC
would be getting JavaScriptCore working with GNUstep.  It now has a very mature
Objective-C bridge and this makes it possible to write Cocoa applications in
JavaScript (as well as using JavaScript for scripting as a replacement for
AppleScript).

David