Re: Newbie back again...

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Newbie back again...
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2017 18:43:03 +0200

Hi,

Yan Le Guen wrote:
After only 3 attempts at building GNUstep from sources, I eventually notice that there're several ways to download the "official" current GNUstep packages/modules whatever we call it: at least svn and git.
It seems also that these two spots are not really synchronized, isn't it?

I don't know "which" sources you accuse of being not synchronized. Currently the source master is still SVN on GNA although we are migrating away from it.

http://svn.gna.org/svn/gnustep/

The git repository is synchronized and checking right now, it shows a commit 3 hours old. This tells me everything is working fine.

https://github.com/gnustep/

The official way to download sources is getting the tarballs from the gnustep.org website. Easy. We just released, so everything is fine and you can also get daily snapshot off the ftp server.

I've also noticed that there're multiple "official" INSTALL/BUILD instructions files but none none seems to be able acheive its goals at least for me (the real newbie) on my Debian 8 based system (clang3.9/llvm 3.9, libobjc2 & libdispatch other required packages also being installed).

My questions are:
Is GNUstep project still alive?
Where is the "official repo" from where to get some recently updated/synchronized material to successfully build (for eventually help to debug) the GNUstep Libraries?

I replied you above. A 3 hours commit and a set of release in the past days shows we are still alive.

As a first thing, I would try just compiling with a simple configuration of make: "./configure --with-layout=gnustep" and then working up towards your goals if you need them.

I personally use gcc where possible and prefer the fragile ABI for easy debugging (rebuilding after a release is anyway a no-brainer and I see no issues doing it), so I leave to other your specfic issue. As always, to work your way up.

Riccardo