Re: Beginning with obj-c/gnustep

From: Fred Kiefer
Subject: Re: Beginning with obj-c/gnustep
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 23:28:28 +0200

> Am 22.06.2017 um 23:12 schrieb Ed Den Doolaerd <edendoolaerd@gmail.com>:
> Before deciding for Objective C / FreeBSD, I did some research. The objective
> c syntax corresponds with Smalltalk, with named parameters for the message
> calls. I'm fine with that.
>
> Beside memory management, I think my biggest problem will be makefiles and
> compiler options.
> I'm used to working in a very standardized environment, and that seems to be
> totally different on the pc, with different commans and ways of working, not
> only between different operating systems, but even between the different
> distributions of Linux.

In that case you should have a look at the GNUstep make system. It tries to
abstract away most of the difficulties involved with compiling on a Unix
operating system. That way you hopefully can just ignore all these compiler
options and concentrate on what you want to write yourself.

> By the way, I do a reply to all, so you will get my answer in your personal
> mailbox. Is this the correct way, or should I, for future questions, send
> replies only to the mailing list?

It is best to just reply to the mailing list. In this case I also reply to you
personally, as I don’t know whether you already subscribed to the list.

Fred