Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE

From: Sergii Stoian
Subject: Re: [INFO] NEXTSPACE
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2017 11:20:31 +0200

On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 4:22 PM, Matt Rice <ratmice@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 3:07 PM, Sergii Stoian <stoyan255@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 26, 2017 at 12:50 PM, Matt Rice <ratmice@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Cool project, was curious if you had/were planning on implementing the
>> right click behavior where
>> instead of bringing up the windowmaker vertical menu, right click on
>> the root window brings up the
>> main menu of the currently active application.  Given the
>> workspace/shelf the windowmaker menu
>> seems a bit superfluous
>
> Yes, something like what you've described. I want to get rid of
> WindowMaker's menus and panels as much as I it's possible to leave essential
> functionality.
> To reach this goal I need to implement Dock settings in Workspace
> preferences and Preferences where it will be appropriate.
>>

>> I had a fork of aewm with click to focus + this, let me know if you
>> would like me to try and find it.
>> though I seem to recall everything including gnustep would pretty much
>> freak out when they receive
>> events that are outside of any window,
>> Anyhow let me know, perhaps it is less entrenched than trying to
>> experiment with such things in windowmaker (or maybe not).
>
> Actually it's quite simple to switch off root menu and show Workspace's
> menu. It's possible because WindowMaker is just another thread of Workspace
> application.

My main issue with this is that e.g. consider the user who selects some text,
then right clicks and edit -> copy,
if we're showing the workspace menu, this is going to copy the
selected file in the workspace,
rather than the selected text in the active application.

Hmm. What does such action supposed to do? Pasting text onto workspace background? Pasting text into active application? Why if you've clicked on workspace background?
> I've never thought or try to show active application's menu with
> right-clicking on desktop. Is it intuitive or comfortable from user
> experience point of view? Current design of GNUstep applications let user
> bring app menu by right-clicking inside any of the app's windows. I think
> it's quite logical to bring Workspace app menu right-clicking on desktop
> background (anyway it's managed by Workspace). What do you think?

IMO yes having the active app's main menu is intuitive and comfortable,
But i am biased, having the main menu available everywhere without
having to move the mouse ever is
helpful.

I couldn't find a good example of this, and was having trouble
recalling the behavior when you right clicked on e.g. the dock
miniwindows, the title bar, inactive windows.

so here is a short video... https://youtu.be/1_glOOYIGlc

Excellent example. Could you please add issue into NEXTSPACE page on github so we can continue to discuss it without bothering community?