Re: Gorm can edit which types of files ?

From: Riccardo Mottola
Subject: Re: Gorm can edit which types of files ?
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2017 23:38:27 +0100

Hi Daniel,

On 2017-12-25 21:04:04 +0100 Daniel Santos <daniel.dlds@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi and Merry Christmas,
>
> I was trying to select elements on one of the NIB files in the GNUMail
> project, a noticed that I can’t seem to do that on NIB files, only on Gorm
> files.
> Is it really lijke that ? Or am I missing something ?

A question: what are you trying to do? Modifying a specific NIB file? or Gorm
File?
It is best to manipulate gorm files with Gorm, NIB files with the appropriate
XCode version.

A bit of history: GNUMail was originally written for GNUstep my Ludovic and it
laid out the interface with code, no Gorm files back then, perhaps for
programmer's preference, but also because Gorm was much more primitive almost
20 years ago! It didn't even exist in its current state and gmodel files were
used.
Later, GNUstep was ported to Mac but the interface was adapted and laid out
differently and also employed NIB files. You can notice that in many interface
classes which have different init code for MACOS and "else" which is GNUstep.
The Mac vintage is about 10.3 /10.4 and with that he project and NIB files are
best edited and GNUMail perfectly runs on those. I am doing quite some work
recently to clean up the project on 10.5 and Intel and work for updating also
to 10.6 and 10.7 is done too. I  do my best that all improvements still
maintain GNUstep and "old mac" compatibility, since I find it cool that I can
read email also on my vintage iBooks, one runnint 10.3 Mac and one GNUstep on
GNU/Linux.

In recent times, I started also updating piece after piece GNUMail interface
code to use Gorm files and not code, so or some parts you may have either a NIB
or a Gorm file available. I will continue this work in the next months,
although a certain core will be difficult since the Controller behaves
differently from Mac to GNUstep.

Riccardo

PS: You got a blank email because you triggered a bug in GNUMail itself and the
way it handles encodings. I investigated many hours and cleaned up the code and
mitigated it. If you can read this Mail, I was successful :)