Re: GNUstep and valgrind

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: GNUstep and valgrind
Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2018 23:08:59 +0000

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 6:06 PM, amon <amon@vnl.com> wrote:
> Just noticed this while researching... it does not appear to be
> possible to create an NSHost object that is *not* autoreleased.
> Is this true or did I miss something in the docs?

Apple documentation says no:
https://developer.apple.com/documentation/foundation/nshost?language=objc

GNUstep documentation says no:
http://www.gnustep.org/resources/documentation/Developer/Base/Reference/NSHost.html#class$NSHost

GNUstep source says technically yes, if you ignore the fact you'd be
using internal methods:
https://github.com/gnustep/libs-base/blob/master/Source/NSHost.m#L443
(If you choose this, don't forget to write comprehensive automated
unit tests, in case this behavior is later changed. I would not
recommend using private methods, even if Objective-C technically lets
you do that, as those are most certainly implementation details.)