Re: Bugs in gui/back

From: Josh Freeman
Subject: Re: Bugs in gui/back
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2018 18:30:20 -0400

On Apr 25, 2018, at 11:26 AM, Andreas Höschler wrote:

I tried to install a different window manager on this Ubuntu 16.04 box to check out whether the problem is window manager related. I tried Window Maker

        add-apt-repository ppa:profzoom/wmaker
        apt-get update
        apt-get install wmaker

and was even able to select that on the login screen. But logging in got me immediately rerouted to the login screen. So it simply did not work. I tried a bunch of other window managers from

        https://www.ubuntupit.com/install-various-desktop-environment-ubuntu/

without success. Not one wanted to work. Pretty annoying and discouraging experience so far. The machine is now completely messed up. I not even get back into the original Unity 8 desktop. After a reboot I end up on some kind of xfce login screen with no option to choose a different window manager. :-(

This won't help your broken setup, but once you get a working OS again, I'd suggest two things:

1) Install some virtualization software, so you can test out potentially-breaking installs on a virtual machine first. (Take a VM snapshot right before doing something risky, so you can easily revert the changes if it breaks). Virtualization can also save time when doing cross-platform Mac/GNUstep development: Installing a Linux VM on your Mac allows you to use both development environments from a single computer.

2) Before adding an external PPA for a desktop environment, first try installing the distro's own packaged version. I've installed a bunch of different DEs (including wmaker) in Ubuntu from its repository packages, and fortunately, they've mostly worked (never had a machine become unusable).

It might be the time for a complete reinstall of the OS. Since the Linux was preinstalled on this machine I do not even have an install CD and would have to create one first. This brings me to the question which distro to use.

What's the quickest and cleanest way to set up a Linux/GNUstep machine on current hardware? Which distro do you recommend?

For GNUstep GUI-app development, I'd suggest MATE as the desktop environment, and the easiest way to get it is a distro where MATE's the built-in default: Ubuntu MATE (17.10 or 18.04), or Linux MATE.

Most desktop environments have at least some minor UI issues with GNUstep GUI apps (avoid Unity/Compiz), but MATE seems to be the most compatible - no issues as far as I've seen [1].

   As for the quickest way to set up GNUstep (on Ubuntu/Mint):

If you need clang or Objective-C 2.0 features, you can use the install script (GNUstep/libobjc2 runtime) at: http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/GNUstep_under_Ubuntu_Linux [2].

Otherwise, you can install GNUstep from distro packages (gcc compiler/runtime) - if you use this option, Ubuntu would be preferable to Mint, because its GNUstep packages are more recent:

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install build-essential libgnustep- gui-dev gnustep-examples
echo ". /usr/lib/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh" >> ~/.bashrc
. /usr/lib/GNUstep/Makefiles/GNUstep.sh

Cheers,

Josh

[1] PikoPixel has workarounds for DE-specific GNUstep UI issues in: Budgie, Cinnamon, GNOME, KDE, LXDE, Pantheon, Unity, Xfce, & WindowMaker. Most of the issues are due to incorrect window-style- offsets values. You can browse PikoPixel's workaround code in the Debian GNUstep team's online mirror:
https://salsa.debian.org/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&search=kPPGSWindowManagerTypeMask_&group_id=&project_id=18300&search_code=true&repository_ref=master

[2] The "GNUstep under Ubuntu Linux" script will install a working GNUstep environment, but it uses the fragile ABI. If you want the nonfragile ABI, you currently need to use the script & patch attached to this list message:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnustep/2017-12/msg00129.html