Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.27.0

From: Yavor Doganov
Subject: Re: ANN: GNUstep GUI 0.27.0
Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 22:06:01 +0000 (UTC)

В Tue, 08 Jan 2019 10:37:12 +0000, David Chisnall написа:
> On 08/01/2019 06:57, Josh Freeman wrote:
>> On Jan 7, 2019, at 4:20 PM, Ivan Vucica wrote:
>>> This is version 0.27.0 of the GNUstep GUI library ('gnustep-gui').
>>
>> Thank you, GNUstep maintainers & contributors, and congratulations
>> on the new releases!
>
> And especially thanks to Ivan for pushing the releases out

I concur -- many thanks to all GNUstep developers and especially Ivan
for doing the releases in time for the Debian transition freeze.

TBH (I always strive to be), I didn't believe that this was
achievable.  For the first time in my life the stars align right; it
took an incredible sequence of events to make it happen.

My sponsor was quick enough to upload the packages to Debian
experimental within 24 hrs (I used the pretests that Ivan published to
prepare the packaging changes), then Gürkan pestered the Debian
ftpmasters on IRC and the new packages were accepted within a few
hours by the Debian Project Leader himself (who whappens to be
ftpmaster as well).  Finally, I managed to build-test all reverse
dependencies in time (using two machines) and apply for a full GNUstep
transition two days before the deadline, which was approved and
conducted successfully (albeit with a few problems, mostly because of
our experiment early in the development cycle to try co-installation
of different library versions).

> probably the least fun part of open source development.

I beg to differ here.  The process of releasing, although often
stressful due to the additional administrativia stuff and sometimes
done under pressure (as it certainly was the case this time), is when
you make your work available to the general public -- and this should
be a moment of joy.  You share your changes, putting a stamp on them,
and it makes you feel like you did something good, at least to some
part of humanity.

This is how I always felt as a free software (occasional/minor)
contributor; perhaps for an open source developer the feeling is
slightly different.