dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] Freedom

From: Matthew Caron
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Freedom
Date: 16 Oct 2002 12:49:18 -0400

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=02/10/16/1146212&mode=flat&tid=153

If the United States is the land of the free, they why is it illegal for
me to read about why they fixed in this patch? Oh, because of the DMCA -
corporations run amok.

A site linked off of the article:
http://www.thefreeworld.net/

Explains it all in the questions and answers section. However, do not
click on The Archive, as it is illegal to read such information inside
the US (distributing information that can be used as a copyright
circumvention technology).

I fully plan on forwarding the Q&A page to my senators and
representatives asking them why are we criminalizing what US citizens
can read in the name of corporate greed?

I will include this following quick statement that violates the DMCA:

Many copy protected CD's can be made copyable by using a black permanent
marker to color over (and therefore corrupt) the table of contents.

The above statement describes a method for circumventing a
copy-protection scheme, and is therefore illegal, as are the tools (a
black magic marker, in this case) for perpetrating such a scheme.

In light of this (which has been going on for some time), and the
impending war, I am soliciting information on other countries that might
be nice places to live. (I have said this before, I am still considering
it.) I'm looking for something with a decent tech infrastructure,
semi-rural (or at least with rural areas that one could commute to job
centers from), preferably English speaking (though I could pick up
French again in a couple months). I've heard Canada is nice, and not too
unlike the US. New Zealand appeals to me if only because of the fact
that they will not let ships containing Nuclear material dock there, and
I've heard Ireland is nice as well.

Input will be greatly appreciated.
--
Oil money supports terrible things,