dmca-activists

[DMCA-Activists] Re: House Bill to Reform Copyright Arbitration Royalty

From: Seth Johnson
Subject: [DMCA-Activists] Re: House Bill to Reform Copyright Arbitration Royalty Panel (CARP) Process
Date: Fri, 23 May 2003 19:39:40 -0400

(Forwarded from Pho list)

Congress needs to review exclusive rights policy in light of modern
technology, and face its responsibility to serve the public interest by
those means.

Congress needs to do its job, not add more tripartite powers to subordinate
agencies.

Seth Johnson

> Michael Roe wrote:
>
> http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c108:H.R.1417:IH
>

>                                  H.R.1417
>
>    Copyright Royalty and Distribution Reform Act of 2003 (Introduced in
>                                   House)
>
> SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.
>
>      This Act may be cited as the `Copyright Royalty and Distribution
>      Reform Act of 2003'.
>
> SEC. 2. REFERENCE.
>
>      Except as otherwise expressly provided, whenever in this Act an
>      amendment or repeal is expressed in terms of an amendment to, or
>      repeal of, a section or other provision, the reference shall be
>      considered to be made to a section or other provision of title 17,
>      United States Code.
>
> SEC. 3. COPYRIGHT ROYALTY JUDGE AND STAFF.
>
>      (a) IN GENERAL- Chapter 8 is amended to read as follows:
>
> CHAPTER 8--PROCEEDINGS BY COPYRIGHT ROYALTY JUDGE
>
>           `Sec.
>
>           `801. Copyright Royalty Judge; appointment and functions.
>
>           `802. Copyright Royalty Judgeship; professional staff.
>
>           `803. Proceedings of Copyright Royalty Judges.
>
>           `804. Institution and conclusion of proceedings.

< SNIP >

--

DRM is Theft!  We are the Stakeholders!

New Yorkers for Fair Use
http://www.nyfairuse.org

[CC] Counter-copyright: http://cyber.law.harvard.edu/cc/cc.html

I reserve no rights restricting copying, modification or distribution of
this incidentally recorded communication.  Original authorship should be
attributed reasonably, but only so far as such an expectation might hold for
usual practice in ordinary social discourse to which one holds no claim of
exclusive rights.