Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Question about packaging

From: Doursenaud , Raphaël
Subject: Re: [Dolibarr-dev] Question about packaging
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 09:27:14 +0200

Well, that's weird, because we already have the "Download ZIP" feature in GitHub for this use case.

I thought the tar archive was an alternate (or reference) version of the zip (that's better suited for deployment from non windows OSes btw).

The dev and build folders, while presenting no interest to the end-user, are in the zip still. Your reasoning doesn't stand.

Reason is that the .tgz file is NOT a distribution for end users.

Distribution for end users are .exe, .zip, .deb and .rpm.

Think the .tgz is official "out of vcs" archive. It is also the source file used to build other "end user" package.

Hi Marcos,

I already raised the question and eldy answered he wanted to keep it that way.

If I remember correctly, the rationale was that the tarball should also be usable by developers without an internet connection.

I'm still in favor of separating user data (releases) from developer data (code repository) though…

Cheers,

Hi all:

I was checking the tarball of Dolibarr 3.5.4 and noticed that the build directory was present, with the utilities to build a dmg, a debian package, etc... Some of them are interesting to endusers, but most of them are not.

Are they present because of a specific reason or because noone questioned that before? Just curious about it.

Regards,

Marcos García
address@hidden

Technopole Hélioparc
2 avenue du Président Pierre Angot
64053 PAU CEDEX 9
SARL GPC.solutions au capital de 7 500 € - R.C.S. PAU 528 995 921

Laurent Destailleur (alias Eldy)

Raphaël Doursenaud
Directeur technique (CTO)
Expert certifié en déploiement Google Apps
+33 (0)5 35 53 97 13 - +33 (0)6 68 48 20 10

http://gpcsolutions.fr