dotgnu-auth

Re: [Auth]mds and Barry: MACS authorization

From: Mario D. Santana
Subject: Re: [Auth]mds and Barry: MACS authorization
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 2002 17:10:54 -0400

John wrote:
> In reviewing the MACS source code (0.5 CVS; is there a later version
> available???), and specifically the single login mechanism; I was
> confronted by two thoughts -

The latest "stable" release is 0.5a, on June 5. There has not been a
release since, because the next release will be almost completely
refactored.

> 1) Why are the system names, user names, and passwords for other systems
> stored in the authentication module? Would they not be better stored in
> the Profile module? [...]

This was a matter of historical convenience in the 0.5a release. The
latest CVS (which is pretty much unusable atm) does exactly as you
suggest.

> 2) Should the authentication service use PAM on either the front-end
> (for the MACS login) or on the back-end? To avail ourselves of the many
> PAM modules already written?

Yes and yes. There is a pam front-end in 0.5a (which I was using for my
machine's login service!) We have been thinking of ways to do the pam
backend but relegated it to the back burner for now. If anyone's
interested, I can explain the ideas we've had for this -- they're fairly
interesting.

Cheers!

mds

--
San Francisco isn't what it used to be, and it never was.  -- Herb Caen