Re: [DotGNU]Web Services - More Secure or Less?

From: Adam Theo
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Web Services - More Secure or Less?
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:45:51 -0500

Rhys Weatherley wrote:

Anyway, we can probably deal with it by providing an
alternative transport for SOAP messages.  Instead of
sending them via HTTP on port 80, we could supply an
option to send them via some other well-known port.
SOAP is actually transport-independent to some degree.
This would give firewall administrators their control back.
However, I'm not too sure how effective this would
be unless lots of other vendors adopted the same port.

Yes, Jabber is now able to route SOAP around it's platform on port 5222. And I suppose firewalls could be built that only allowed SOAP requests from certain Jabber ID's, not just "the world in general".