Re: [DotGNU]P2P IM services (was: IM Services)

From: Norbert Bollow
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]P2P IM services (was: IM Services)
Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 09:49:07 +0100

>       If we could use the JOSS, would we only need to write the gnutella t
> ransport. ( Or do we need a full architectural modification ).
> Please answer . If the latter is the case, we may be better off starting
> from a clean sheet.

DotGNU is a project of FreeDevelopers and GNU.  In such a
project it is quite out of the question to rely on any software
with GPL-incompatible licensing.  The reason for this policy is
this:  Suppose the copyright holder of the software we reply on
decides to take it proprietary.  In that case we need to create
a fork and start maintaining it.  But we don't want to get stuck
with having to maintain a big package with GPL-incompatible
licensing.  That kind of situation is just not acceptable.
Hence we really must uphold the standard that all software we
rely on must be GPL'd, or at least have GPL-compatible
licensing.  This standard also has practical benefits of making
much it easier to re-use code from one project in another
project.

However, Adam seems to think that he can get the licensing
problem of JOSS fixed.  Let's see if this works out.

Greetings, Norbert.

--
A member of FreeDevelopers and the DotGNU Steering Committee: dotgnu.org
Tel +41 1 972 20 59       Fax +41 1 972 20 69      http://thinkcoach.com