Re: [DotGNU]Is Forum an active development proposal?

From: Silvernerd
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Is Forum an active development proposal?
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 18:06:30 +0200

Barry Fitzgerald wrote:

> The next step, Peter, is to put together a summary of your project and a
> basic (very basic) roadmap for development of the project so that we can
> forward that up to RMS to have a look at - and thus make the project
> official GNU, if that's something that you would like.

I would certainly like that. Here is the summary and roadmap.

The DotGNU Forum System Project (aka Forum):

Forum is a webservice that provides a platform on which webservices
that allow simultaneous editing of data by multiple users at the same
time will run.

Forum also provides a platform where people can meet and work together
on a subject. It does this by providing plaza's, virtual places where
people can come to and that contain data and apps relevant to the
subject.

To provide a basic level of functionality for all forums, Forum will
have a number of basic webservices build in/supplied with the program.
The webservices are a documentation browser (for HTML and Texinfo), a
download server, a message board and the plaza server. A chat system is
integrated into the Forum server and automatically used in every app.

Forum is build on the server/client principle. It has a C#-based
server and multiple possible clients. The Forum project itself will
develop a GTK/C client for testing and evaluation purposes, when the
GUI systems of DotGNU come online efforts will change from the GTK/C
client to a DotGNU client. The webservice apps will run outside the
server and connect to the server using standard webservice
communication protocols.  Also plugins may be made that are linked to
from the server.

Forum is GPL'd. Both webservice apps and plugins using it may be of
any license, with the special owner-of-the-data restriction on the
webservice apps.

Forum will have 3 copyright owners: the FSF, FreeDevelopers and
DotGNU. Contributors may decide for themselves to which entity
they transfer copyright (or if they want to sign some form of
disclaimer).

End summary and roadmap.

PS: I've reviewed the maintainers guidelines and agree to them.

--
Silvernerd (Peter Minten)

"Using GNU/Linux is like walking over a ray of bricks, not as beautiful,
but a lot more substantial than light."