Re: [DotGNU]Status of things

From: Dan Kuykendall (Seek3r)
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Status of things
Date: Thu, 06 Jun 2002 07:52:01 -0700

James Michael DuPont wrote:
I have started some new code to seperate phpGW into
two pieces, of a client and a server. The server can be talked to over SOAP or XML-RPC and provides its services to the client.

That sounds cool.
In order to use this, I need to setup a php apache
server?

For the implmentation I am working on, yes.
Once I have everything defined someone with more working knowledge of C++ can re-implement a version of the services for possible better performance.

3) Messaging. I have been fiddling with some
SOAP/XML-RPC wrapper to IMAP, POP3 and NNTP calls. There is already an

Cool, that will allow POP3 access?

Right. The web service takes the requests over xml-rpc/soap then turns around and talks to the true data store (pop3, imap, nntp) to get the data. Then packages that back up and returns it in soap/xml-rpc form.

Basicly in the end I figure phpGroupWare would be a
client that generates a web interface.

What about an interface description language?

Right now I have been doing everything with xml-rpc and am using its own introspection abilities. When I get to SOAP I plan to use WSDL and think that the way the functions are being documented for xml-rpc should be able to produce the WSDL fine.

Right now I am calling this new server the GroupWare
Freedom Server (GWFS) just so that I have something to call it
while talking about it.

I would be interested in looking into this sometime.
Where will it be hosted? CVS?

I suppose I will have to setup a project on Savannah next week when I expect to release the inital services. For now I am not ready to release my code so its all local (with backups to tape).

Seek3r