[DotGNU]extension APIs (was Re: [Website]Preparing for dotgnu meet-a-tho

From: S11001001
Subject: [DotGNU]extension APIs (was Re: [Website]Preparing for dotgnu meet-a-thon)
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 22:14:30 -0500

Gopal V wrote:
Wrap all and every native API you like !.. I'll be fixing my pinvoke.sh
to be slightly more advanced ...

Hate to say it, but it would be much nicer if we had pnet-built, pure IL libs. That way, an extension would be an extension, and a developer could always rely on *every* DotGNU. lib being on *every* box. None of this

pnetlib requires
libxml2
openssl
gtk
libguile
GNU MP
Mesa

Some will be wrapped necessarily (pure interpretation of OpenGL, anyone?). But stuff like MP or XML should be all portable-executable. Sorry, Gopal, I have qualms with libxml# :( though it's a nice holdover until System.Xml is done.

--
Stephen Compall
DotGNU `Contributor' -- http://www.dotgnu.org

My views about copyright take an hour to expound, but one general
principle applies: it cannot justify denying the public important
freedoms. As Abraham Lincoln put it, "Whenever there is a conflict
between human rights and property rights, human rights must prevail."
Property rights are meant to advance human well-being, not as an
excuse to disregard it.
        -- RMS, "The GNU GPL and the American Way"