Re: [DotGNU]ILString type Definition

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]ILString type Definition
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 08:22:45 +1000

Charles Shuller wrote:

> Anyboddy know what the definition of the ILString type is??
>
> I've traced it back to:
>
> typedef struct _tagILString ILString;
>
> but I can't find the definition for tagILString??  I'm sure it MUST be
> in the source somewhere, as it compiled, but I can't fine it.

It doesn't exist.  Instead, in the few cases where it is
necessary to access the string internals, string objects are
cast to "System_String".  This is to discourage people from
accessing the string internals.

I assume from your other messages that you are trying to
implement System.IO primitives, and therefore want to get
access to the "const char *" version of a string.  The
function "ILStringToAnsi" is what you are looking for.