Re: [DotGNU]Supporting MS Error code syntax

From: Adam Treat
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Supporting MS Error code syntax
Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 17:00:02 -0500

On Thursday 07 November 2002 04:27 pm, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> Gopal V wrote:
> > do we need an error code thing ?.... It should be possible to do it
> > without disturbing anything except cscctest.
> >
> > CCErrorOnLine(42,".....") ? anyone ?
>
> Absolutely, positively, 100%, NOT!
>
> Error codes are an abomination, are impossible to keep consistent
> between compiler implementations, and are against GNU coding standards.
> The GNU standard is "filename:line[:column]: message".  Which is
> why gcc never uses codes, even though dozens of other C compilers do.
>
> n1k0 wants a way to disable certain warnings with a single number
> that works across all compilers.  We can add that by translating
> the "-fnowarn" code into our internal warning names while parsing
> the command-line options.

Howabout support for the csc style /nowarn option in csant?  Is this also a no
go?  It really won't matter for Qt# since we are in the process of fixing our
warnings ;-)  The warnings that n1k0 and I are concerned about come from the
old qt# generator which is being replaced.  I ask this because csant is
concerned with other compilers besides cscc...