Re: [DotGNU]ECMA doubt .. function overloading

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]ECMA doubt .. function overloading
Date: Sat, 9 Nov 2002 00:33:47 +0530

If memory serves me right, Adam Treat wrote:
> ************ And here is the ildasm for child.cs compiled with mcs:
>                 ldc.i4.s   42
>                 conv.r4
>                 callvirt   instance void Child::Foo(float32 x)
>                 ret

Why the heck does it generate a callvirt on a non-virtual function ?..

Typically that would not allow me to do this ...

Child a=null;
a.Foo(42);

Which should not throw a NullRef exception ... as long as Foo() does not
try to use 'ldarg.0'... (MCS stuff does throw a NullRef ?)

                // If we're going one level higher in the class hierarchy,
abort if
                // we already found an applicable method.

seems to sum up the MCS implementation. But "applicable" ain't "best" :-)

But yeah, we should be talking about cscc bugs :-) ... and as usual
we can do a "inherit=0" lookups...

But do we want to ?.. (Rhys ?)