Re: [DotGNU]Message passing between webservices

From: Peter Minten
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Message passing between webservices
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:46:11 +0100

Gopal V wrote:

> > In terms of property access, You'd never access a property directly anyway
> > but provide a method to do this.  C# does this kinda automatically with the
> > set_ get_ syntax but you (the ws author) still need to provide the body of
> > these functions.
> So what do you want ? ... this ?
> public static int FooBar
> {
>         [WebMethod("GetFooBar",....)]
>         get
>         {
>         }
>         set
>         {
>         }
> }
> and get these methods out of it ? "int get_FooBar();" and "void
> set_FooBar(int);" ? ... I think this generates .dgmx with get_Foobar
> and no set_Foobar ... but the Invoke might need some help with that.

I'd rather see this:

public static int FooBar

And then the accessors are automatically named get_Foobar and set_Foobar.
However it will also be possible to access Foobar as a variable through message
passing with the accessors invoked automatically.

When using WebVariable on a property it automatically creates the accessors as
WebMethods, but only the accessors that are defined in the property. When using
WebVariable on a variable it automatically creates accessors (unless directed

But WebVariable isn't a replacement for WebMethod, WebMethod can still be used
for compatibility, but WebVariable is simply a little easier :-).

> > Externally property access looks just like member access (and so it should!)
> > so Xml-Rpc and thus all protocols will be fine.
> Hmm.. how about my idea ? "get_" and "set_" methods explicitly ?

Make them both explicit and implicit, get the best of both worlds :-).