Re: [DotGNU]#line directives in treecc and gcov/gdb

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]#line directives in treecc and gcov/gdb
Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 16:40:46 -0800 (PST)

--- Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Saturday 25 January 2003 07:48 pm, James Michael DuPont wrote:
> > Hey
> > does anyone else have problems with gdb and the #line directives
> from
> > treecc? I am trying to run gcov on the code,
> > and it looks like I will have to hack lots of code to get this
> running:
> > none of the gcc tools like .tc files....
>
> I've never had any problems with gdb and #line.  I regularly do
> things like
> "break cg_arith.tc:294" and it works just fine.
Ok, you break on the code in the tc.

you did see the problem with the "bt" backtrace, where the line numbers
were missing, (i posted the bug notes)

i was able to break, just not view the source, try debugging that test
file, and see what sources you can see normally, very little for me.

>  I've never used
> gcov, so I
> can't comment on that.  You may want to try copying the *.tc files
> into the
> directory where you are running gcov - it may just be a path issue.
> Gdb has
> ways to set the source path, but I don't know how to do it with gcov.

Gcov is great, i have been experimenting with it. It at least shows you
what code you need to read.

> If you need to turn off line numbers temporarily for testing, then
> modify
> "treecc" to comment out the body of "TreeCCStreamLine".  Turning them
> off
> permanently would make it impossible for me to debug the compiler, as
> there
> would be no match-up between the *.tc and *.c lines.

I am thinking about a directive or a command line switch, something
that could be changed easily.

thanks for the tips,
mike

=====