Re: [DotGNU]Could someone test this on all platforms ?

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Could someone test this on all platforms ?
Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2003 19:39:02 +0530

If memory serves me right, Paolo Molaro wrote:
> I guess in the computer science courses they don't teach how measuring is
> supposed to be done? ;-)

We're mostly taught that there are "lies , damned lies and stastics"
and told to extrapolate that theory to benchmarks and release dates ;-).

> 1) the first DateTime.Now call will make the jit compile lots of methods
> (initialization of some types and so on).

Hmm...This also applies for ilrun (CVM conversion, unrolling, inlining) ?.

> 2) the Millisecond property has, well, a millisecond resolution:-)

Well that's obtained after the two DateTime.Now calls.. So that should
not interfere .

> I just added a "t1=DateTime.Now;" before the loop and increased the
> number of iterations to 10240000. Results are below:

Hmm.. I was comparing the performance of x86 unrolled ilrun doing the
FooBar.Test() and full JIT doing FooBar.Test() .. When I got a higher
speed for the simpler ilrun , I added 1024 runs to balance out any
effects of conversion.

This looks a lot like the code I'm working on , where a for loop over
the entries checking for true vs false ... (it now has ~7000 iterations,
but 1024 was a decent approximation).

> about two times slower than mono in your test.

hehe, after you doctored it to give that :) ....

I was just playing around with the unroller when I checked this . This
was a simpler case to check whether my computer had gone haywire .  My
comparison led to the last mail.

Well, let's get back to work ...