Re: [DotGNU]dll hell

From: Gopal V
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]dll hell
Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2003 14:09:39 +0530

If memory serves me right, Rhys Weatherley wrote:
> > what does dotgnu offer?
>
> Right now, we don't support DLL versioning - the version numbers are present,
> but ignored by the runtime engine.  All of the library assemblies are in the
> one directory.  I'm investigating how to handle multiple versions of the same
> thing, while remaining compatible with MS-compiled programs.  It's kind of
> moot until the runtime engine stablises anyway.

Generally speaking , when you compile your own .dlls daily ... how can
we fix versions like this -- ie a program  you compiled a week ago will
refuse to work with the newly compiled .dll version.

Also pnet does pickup .dlls  from the current directory if possible ..
So placing a dll in the current dir will always solve this issue.
*BUT* if this is a dependency of another .dll loaded from elsewhere ,
this doesn't work out that well and System dlls are loaded differently
as well.

> > what is the equivalent of a dotnet windows service?  a daemon?
>
> Probably.  There's nothing that prevents the DotGNU Portable.NET runtime
> engine from being run as a daemon, since a daemon is just a process like any
> other under Unix.

http://dotgnu.org/dgee.html does indeed run multiple PnetVM instances to
execute C# webservices (xmlrpc only for now)..

There is a Posix wrapper somewhere in ml-pnet module , but I wouldn't
use it if I needed to be portable.