Re: [Pnet-developers] [Bug #2806] CSCC virtual memory exhausted

From: James Michael DuPont
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] [Bug #2806] CSCC virtual memory exhausted
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 07:16:36 -0800 (PST)

--- Fergus Henderson <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 19-Mar-2003, Rhys Weatherley <address@hidden> wrote:
> > On Wednesday 19 March 2003 09:22 am, Fergus Henderson wrote:
> >
> > > OK, how about "Out of memory, or missing System library"?
> >
> > "... or internal compiler error, or bug, or unknown phenomenon, or
> ..."
> >
> > It never ends.  There are a lot of reasons why that message may
> appear in a
> > non out of memory situation.
>
> OK, then "Out of memory, or some other (unknown) error" would still
> be
> a better message than the misleading "Out of memory" message.
>
> > It is unreasonable to enumerate them all, for
> > an issue that basically boils down to "mdupont deliberately misused
> the
> > compiler and it acted strangely".
>
> AFAIK mdupont did not deliberately intend to misuse the compiler,
> and even if he did, I think it certainly possible that some other
> user might do the same thing accidentally.

Yeah, Thank you for defending me.
I did not try and misuse anything. I did not have the mscorlib
installed properly, (maybe cause i did not install the pnetlib) and I
thought that I would be kind enough to tell you about this misleading
error message. I was really confused myself, and was wondering about
the memory usage.

I really was mislead!!!

> Saying that the compiler "acted strangely" is IMHO putting it too
> nicely --
> "gave a very misleading error message" would be more accurate.
> Issuing
> seriously misleading error messages IMHO always constitutes a bug.

Yeah, confusing the users in an error condition.

> Since the fix of converting the misleading error message into a
> less-than-fully-informative error message is trivial, why not just do
> it?
> Uninformative error messages are undesirable, but they're not bugs.
> Much better to have an uninformative error message than an incorrect
> one.

I aggree. That is why I have not given up on this one yet.

mike

=====
James Michael DuPont
http://introspector.sourceforge.net/