[Pnet-developers] Procedures for bug reporting

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Procedures for bug reporting
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 09:14:57 +1000

Since there has been so much time wasted on debating closed bugs, perhaps it
is time to formalize the bug reporting procedures.

Let me make it clear first, that these procedures are not proposals to be
debated - they are the way it will be done.  In other words, "my project, my
rules, and these are the rules".

Rule #1: All bugs will end up in the Closed state - no bug will be left open
indefinitely just to salve someone's ego.

Rule #2: Rhys is the final arbiter of design decisions.

Rule #3: If you submit a bug to the bug database, then the natural assumption
is that you expect someone other than yourself to address the issue.  Bugs
that you wish to fix yourself should be entered into the Patch Manager, with
a working patch.

Rule #4: If Gopal or Rhys decides that a bug is unimportant for some reason,
then the reasons why will be entered on the bug and it will be left open for
a period of no more than one week.  If no further information has been
supplied in that time, the bug will be closed.  Also, see Rule #2.

Rule #5: Rule #4 doesn't apply to bugs that are obviously invalid - e.g.
duplicates, wrong pnet version used to test, odd behaviour that is consistent
with other implementations.

Rule #6: Disagreeing with a decision is fine, as long as you back it up with
working code.  A promise to look into an issue is not working code.

Rule #7: A bug that has been fixed cannot be re-opened unless a new test case
is provided that demonstrates the same bug in a new situation.  If fixing a
bug causes another to manifest, because it was previously blocked by the
first, then a new bug must be raised.

Rule #8: Re-opening the same bug because you didn't like the fact that the
first instance was closed is never acceptable under any circumstances.

Cheers,

Rhys.