Re: RE : [Pnet-developers] [Bug #4014] [0.5.8] Hard limit for bytecode

From: Rhys Weatherley
Subject: Re: RE : [Pnet-developers] [Bug #4014] [0.5.8] Hard limit for bytecode size is different in VM bytecode verifier and ilverify
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 21:18:33 +1000

On Wednesday 18 June 2003 08:40 pm, Yannis BRES wrote:

>      I was not talking about the stack size but the bytecode size :  there
> does not seem to be any option in this respect...

Could you send me an example of a binary that has this problem by private
e-mail (or put it on the Web somewhere)?  I will investigate.

The method cache is allocated in blocks of size 128 k, which does effectively
limit how big the CVM version of a method can be.  Do you really have
individual methods that are that big?

An overly large method may appear to be a verfication failure because of the
way the CVM coder works.  The verifier, ilverify, wouldn't exhibit this same
problem because it uses a null coder that doesn't generate CVM code.

Cheers,

Rhys.