[Pnet-developers] Re: Possible misinterpretation of 'protected internal'

From: Carl-Adam Brengesjo
Subject: [Pnet-developers] Re: Possible misinterpretation of 'protected internal'
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 20:16:03 +0200

Dominique Canazzi wrote:
That must be sorcery!

I posted a fuzzy and quite unreadable report, and it is fixed one day later!

Anyway (and almost for those who found my first sumbission buggy), I attach a better description of the bug, that I have prepared this morning, before it was fixed.

Very, very good job. Many thanks.

check diff to the previous version and you'll notice power of the pnet design ;)

In this case, cscc accepts the code when compiled into a unique assembly (cscc
protect*.cs -o protect).
When I try separate assemblies (cscc -shared -o protect1.dll protect1.cs; cscc
protect2.cs -o protect -lprotect1), the compiler outputs:
protect2.cs:21: called object is not a method or delegate
protect2.cs:23: called object is not a method or delegate
In my undersanding, foo() should still be seen as protected, from outside the
assembly protect1.

Note that both csc (Microsoft) and mcs (Mono) agree with my interpretation. OK,
you may reply that majority does not make truth :-)

Well, it turned out that both you (like Microsoft and Mono) and I was correct :-) I was correct about the ECMA specs, and both csc and mcs does not correspond to the ecma spec on this. However, the ECMA specs, apparently, does not correspond to the `conventional oop terms'. So if we're gonna be 'nitty-pitty' we can blame the MS guys anyways as they wrote the spec ;)

Glad to learn new stuff anyway :D
(thanks to Gopal that cleared this out for me)

See excerpt from IRC log below (http://ajmitch.linuxworks.co.nz/dotgnu.log.08Sep2004).

[23:21] <t3rmin4t0r> FAM OR ASSEM
[23:21] <t3rmin4t0r> FAMILY != conventional meaning of protected
[23:22] <t3rmin4t0r> what ECMA spec says is in fact wrong with the accepted meaning of "FAMILY" [23:23] <t3rmin4t0r> ptha: all protected methods are private to all except children *and* nested classes [23:23] <ptha> so, you're saying that I was right in the interpretation of the ecma specs, but not in the sense in conventional oop terms?
[23:23] <t3rmin4t0r> yup

/ptha