Re: [Pnet-developers] Porting work remaining question

From: Peter Colson
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] Porting work remaining question
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2004 15:17:38 +1000

On 28/09/2004, at 6:22 PM, Gopal V wrote:

Hi,

    - provided a platform-specific spawn (is this
even required by the
sample?)

Well it's required for cscc to work properly ..
it spawns cscc-cs (or some other plugin) and reads
the pipe.

OK, but to get the helloworld sample working using the
hello.exe image does ilrun have to spawn cscc-cs?

I've turned on IL_CVM_DUMP and when running 'ilrun
hello.exe' there
seems to be a reasonable amount of output. I'm
curious if someone
familiar with this information can determine if
things are indeed
progressing correctly,

Yes, it seems to be entering Console.WriteLine
properly . However the last time I checked
Console.WriteLine needs 7302 hashtable insertions
and a Lot of CharFills to get the Unicode encoders
working :) . There are a lot of static constructors
which are being executed to load the codepage ,
encodings etc.

Hello World is *not* that trivial an example :)

I've looked at the CVM dump output on OSX and it contains over
3,100 lines compared to the one that crashes on my platform
which contains just 511 lines.

I can see that the crash occurs on the very first call to COP_L2I:

and it happens when '&(stacktop[-CVM_WORDS_PER_LONG])' is
de-referenced that I get an error accessing out of range memory.

The method->member.name at this point is 'InternalCodePage'.

At this point the platform contains just the hello.exe image and
mscorlib.dll. Are there other supporting components required at
this point?

Regards,
Peter Colson.