Re: [Pnet-developers] String marshalling

From: Marc Haisenko
Subject: Re: [Pnet-developers] String marshalling
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 2005 13:47:07 +0200

> > What's an ANSI charset ? That should be ASCII, shouldn't it ? I'd like to
> > change that.
>
> Windows has traditionally used "ANSI" to mean the locale-specific 8-bit
> character set in use by the OS, even those character sets that aren't
> strictly in the ANSI standard (e.g. Shift-JIS for Japanese).  In Unix terms,
> it is the multibyte encoding that is processed by mbtowc and friends.

Ah, I understand.

> > Is there any reason at all to not use UTF-8 for all .NET -> C string
> > marshalling ? Why the ANSI (ASCII ?) option ?
>
> Because it is the easiest thing to draw using the XFontSet routines in
> Xlib, which use the locale-specific encoding.  By using ANSI for the
> marshalling, the runtime engine takes care of the conversion, rather than
> having XsharpSupport do it.

... and C functions like printf wouldn't work correctly, it occured to me.

But I found the solution: I didn't know I can set the charset in the DllImport
attribute ! This does the job as I now can force UTF-8 marshalling for the
XsharpDrawStringXft function and thus bypass any locale-specific
conversions :-)

> Cheers,
>
> Rhys.

Thanks for explanations. C'ya,