dragora-users

[Dragora-users] development: System logging

From: Matias Fonzo
Subject: [Dragora-users] development: System logging
Date: Mon, 15 May 2017 16:43:48 -0300

Hi there,

Support has recently been added to try to cover the system logging
in Dragora 3 (dev).  Such as 'logrotate' (and its dependency, 'popt').
The same one runs as a cron job to rotate the logs...

I am internalizing with the perp documentation, and in communication
with Wayne Marshall (author).  In concerns about things that are
missing to complete the system logging in Dragora, e.g sysklogd, the
runscripts for each service/daemon; My concern is on how to fit the
whole scheme for perp/logrotate/sysklogd and services for persistent
process.

I forgot that perp includes tinylog[1], a program which provides the
same functionality that logrotate.  Its use is simple and seems quite
reliable.

Wayne suggests making use of tinylog, in combination with socklog[2]
instead of sysklogd; the strategy would be to extent that services
are setup to run under perp supervision, each with a tinylog logger,
and capture other syslog output being logged to the unix domain
socket /dev/log, using the simple "socklog".

What do you think?  Any feedback is welcome.

Links:

[1] http://b0llix.net/perp/site.cgi?page=tinylog.8
[2] http://smarden.org/socklog/index.html