[Duplicity-talk] Re: Testing duplicity 0.2.0

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Testing duplicity 0.2.0
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 17:01:34 -0800

I've following up to the mailing list in case other people have
something to add.

  PE> I've installed duplicity-0.2.1 (in assumption it includes the
  PE> patch) and run it several days. I think it works fine. I can't
  PE> find any unexpected things in the -v5 log anymore.
  PE> In the meantime I have two new points on my "wishlist":

  PE>     1. I want to put more than one input directory on the
  PE> argument list. Instead of excluding a lot of files, I like it
  PE> more explicit and say what to back up:

  PE>        duplicity /d05 /d06 /d07 /d08 --exclude-other-filesystems
  PE> scp://...

  PE>        This shall dump the directories /d05, /d06, /d07 and /d08
  PE> but exclude all mounts in there. For now, I have to make four
  PE> separate calls.

Are /d05, /d06, etc. on other filesystems?  If not you could say:

    duplicity --exclude-other-filesystems --include /d05 \
        --include /d06 --include /d07 --include /d08 \
        --exclude ** scp://...

But if they are on different file systems, this is a slight limitation
of the current --exclude-other-filesystems syntax.  See:

http://rdiff-backup.stanford.edu/old-list-archive/2002-June/000438.html

Maybe the proposed --exclude-different-device-from would fix your
problem.  But I thought that the current option would be better
because it is simpler.

  PE>     2. I want any help to cleanup the backup disk. If I run
  PE> duplicity for daily backup, I have to remove from time to time
  PE> old and unused archive files. There are a lot of files: full
  PE> dumps incrementals, uncompleted, manifest, sigtar, difftar --
  PE> puh.  It's easy to remove wrong files.

What's supposed to happen is everytime duplicity is run, it checks the
archive to make sure all the files are there.  If there are extra or
missing files, it should complain.  After the session is over, just
the necessary files should be left.

    What files do you find yourself having to delete?  Is it only
after a failed/aborted session?

--
Ben Escoto