Re: [Duplicity-talk] multi-level diffs; deletions

From: Dan Christensen
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] multi-level diffs; deletions
Date: Wed, 05 Feb 2003 12:51:49 -0500

Ben Escoto <address@hidden> writes:

> I don't think the feature would be hard to add, but this is
> a rather confusing feature I think, and we would want some way to help
> the user specify what s/he wanted.

I think the way to do it is to add a "--level n" option.  If this
is omitted, or -i is given, then set the level to one more than the
level of the most recent backup.  So this is completely backwards
compatible with how duplicity works now.

> Also some built-in algorithms
> would probably be nice, and for restores we would want duplicity to
> pick the shortest path to a full backup.

I don't think there are any choices of paths.  You look at the most
recent backup and see what level it was, say n.  Then you look for
the most recent backup before that one which had level < n, and
make a note of its level, say m.  Then you keep doing this until
you get to a level 0 backup.  Then you restore each of these in
turn, in the other order.

I think that's the only way to do a restore, and again, it's
compatible with the current way duplicity works.

To do a restore to a given date, just use the above algorithm,
ignoring all the backups more recent than that date.

Dan