Re: [Duplicity-talk] incremental backups question

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] incremental backups question
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 10:43:07 -0500

Timothee Besset wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Does duplicity support rolling incremental backups? I'd like to keep
> backups for the past few weeks (say a month's worth), but not go beyond
> that. That's what I call "rolling incremental".
>
> I've been using the incremental backup feature in duplicity, but I don't
> think that will work? Could duplicity either rebuild a full backup at
> the oldest time allowed when the starting full backup is expired, or do
> incremental backups in such a way that the full backup is the latest and
> the incrementals go back in time and can just be deleted?

As such, duplicity does not do what you want.  A bit of work in a script
and you could get what you want, I think.  There is no concept of an
expired backup, but you can get what you need by using --full and --inc
to specify a full or incremental backup, and by --remove-older-than to
remove older backups.  Duplicity will keep track of dependencies so that
it will not remove a full backup as long as an incremental set depends
on it.

As to deleting incremental sets, there is no reason to keep incremental
backups between full backups, unless you need the granularity to restore
a file as it was on a certain date.

...Ken