[Duplicity-talk] Re: gpg passphrase requested twice

From: Dan Muresan
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Re: gpg passphrase requested twice
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 21:18:01 +0300

> would it be possible to request the GPG passphrase only once when the
> archive already exists (or, at least, when the command is list or

Annoyingly, duplicity asks for an unused passphrase (twice!) even when
the --encrypt-key is active and there is no --sign-key (i.e. when no
passphrase is needed or usable). It then dutifully hands GPG a
passphrase that is ignored.

Furthermore, when restoring from such a repository, duplicity again asks
for the (now required) passphrase for the secret key. Again, twice, just
to be sure...

A workaround for the backup step is to set an empty PASSPHRASE
environment variable. This, I guess, is a lesser annoyance than having
to enter the passphrase (twice.)

--Dan