Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch

From: Edgar Soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2008 19:43:42 +0100

well,

currently duplicity is small and only depending on packages that are
necessary for the job to be done. Dbus is not one of them.

3MB is lots in a embbedded device environment, eg. just checked my WRT54
router w/ linux on it.. it has 2MB where at least 1MB is already filled
.. but currently it could theoretically drive duplicity as librsync,
python, gnupg packages are available - this won't be the case with dbus
as dependency

I don't see why to make a desktop component mandatory for a application
that might be used only from shell interfaces by some.

I'd suggest to go back one step and reconsider other established ways
of  interprocess communication. Wouldn't sockets, signals, named pipes
(you name them) do the trick as well? One can still write a dbus
translator for these interfaces, if necessary. Plus these interface
could be used by commandline based wrappers, like bash ftplicity ;)

just my 2cents.. ede