Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: dbus patch
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 06:50:31 -0500

On Thu, Nov 6, 2008 at 1:12 AM, Dan Muresan <address@hidden> wrote:
> I guess that could be interesting, though I see some problems: how could
> an applet monitor a process that only runs sporadically?

DBus allows it.  The applet would monitor the
org.nongnu.duplicity.NewPid signal.

> dupicity is NOT running, you would get nothing from dbus. Parsing a log
> file would give you more persistent information, no?

True, but (at least right now) I'm not looking for persistent info
(i.e. I'm not planning a duplicity log viewer).  Plus, parsing has
machine-readability concerns.

> You also mentioned a single applet; what would the second process be?

My frontend might also be running.  But even if it weren't, the point
is not so much 2 processes, but being able to monitor an unrelated
duplicity instance (like the second of two processes would need to
do).  That is, with several of the IPC schemes, it's difficult to
monitor a duplicity instance you didn't start.

-mt