Re: integrity check - Re: [Duplicity-talk] Some questions from a new use

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: integrity check - Re: [Duplicity-talk] Some questions from a new user
Date: Mon, 07 Sep 2009 16:16:49 +0200

Idea: integrity check command

The reason for not doing full backups regularly is the slow upload
channel. But usually this combines with some pretty fast download (not
always but often). Before deleting backups the leftovers should be
checked for integrity. We could verify the last full against the data,
but this does not make sense as a portion of it might have changed and
would show up.
As far as I understand the combination tar/gz/gpg already catches
defective data, although very conservative by breaking the
verify/restore process running.
Therefor - wouldn't it make sense to introduce a integrity check that
simply does a verify, receiving and unpacking without actually comparing
data to the source. Additionally if there are checksums already in the
backup they could be used. If not they can be added in the future and
used then.
@Ken: Are there checksums?

This check could be run instead of regularly full backups to assure us
that the old backup data we rely on is still intact.

Command could be: check-integrity [last-full|<age>]

Duplicity does not have anything running on the remote system in order
to do an integrity check.  To check the data on the remote, all of it
would have to be downloaded and validated.  You can get the same by
doing a normal duplicity verify command.

exactly my point .. same as verify but without comparing to the source _and_ if possible, not breaking on defect volumes.

Possibly combined with a check against checksums.
@Ken: Are there checksums in the backups?

.. ede