Re: [Duplicity-talk] symmetric key, or public gpg key?

From: Paul Harris
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] symmetric key, or public gpg key?
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 06:25:11 +0800

2009/10/21 <address@hidden>

Really?  I thought duplicity still needed to decrypt the signature files
during backups, and therefore need the key + passphrase?

With the newest duplicity, the cache (archive) dir is permanent so you
don't need a passphrase.  The local sig files are unencrypted.

Hmm I understood form earlier threads last year one could do backups with the public key only? So this is not true? The private key and passphrase are needed for incremental backups because the sig files have to be read for these? Right?

I guess it also means that each machine that performs a backup must keep its own local cache and backup to its own "area" (ie two machines can't backup to the same location unless they also share the cache).   As long as the cache is not lost, then the private key + passphrase is not required... correct?