Re: [Duplicity-talk] Rsync Backend

From: Richard Scott
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Rsync Backend
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2009 10:29:15 +0000

Hi Will,

As far as I know, both scp:// and rsync:// transfer methods work in the same way. I don't believe that any of the special features of rsync are used during upload/download to the remote site so the "--delete" option won't help.

Also, you can only safely delete files on the remote system that are nothing to do with the current backup chain i.e. a backup chain is any file uploaded since you last did a full backup. All these files are linked and to restore a single file could need any one of these files for a partial bit of data as any incremental backups you run since the last full backup will only store the changed parts in a file since the last backup run and not the whole file.

If you want to save space on your remote site, you can the "remove-all-but-n-full 1" option to duplicity to remove anything but one previous full backup and your current backup chain.

It is safer to get duplicity to delete stuff, rather than doing it yourself.

Hope that helps,

Rich