Re: [Duplicity-talk] relative perf measurements?

From: AJ Weber
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] relative perf measurements?
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 2010 21:04:23 -0500

Well, it would be extremely hard to test S3 on the same system as you test ftp/scp/rsync ;) .

But really, it shouldn't be hard to run ftp, scp, rsync and maybe even webdav on the same server and then run a couple of full backups, incrementals, and restores. Would probably be very useful info to people -- or maybe I'm just crazy like that.

Would also be cool to run those same tests with different simulated bandwidth parameters, which you can do with some linux testing tools that help you tweak your network conn to different bandwidth and lag.

Either way, I thought I'd ask!

Thanks,
AJ

AJ,

No one has done this to my knowledge.  The problem that I can see is
that there would be too many variables.  I have access to most of the
protocols, but they are all to different systems.  To make it a fair
test, someone would have to have access to a system with all of the
protocols in one place.  I don't think that system exists.

...Thanks,
...Ken

AJ Weber wrote:
I searched around a little, but didn't find anything relevant...

Has anyone done any relative performance measurements between the
different backend connection options?

I'm most interested in whether using an rsync server actually helps in
any way (since we're already doing the rsync diff locally, I think)?

Obviously this is all relative, but for "same target server, same
network", are there any measurements for the same backup set sent over
ftp, rsync, and scp?  Curious why I haven't seen something about this
already.  I know all the YMMV cavaets, but has anyone taken the time to
do this kind of experiment?

Thanks in advance,
AJ

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kenneth Loafman" <address@hidden>