Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity verification and corrupt backups

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity verification and corrupt backups
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 11:54:58 +0200

On 22.08.2011 04:25, Ed Blackman wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 06:15:26PM +0200, address@hidden wrote:
>> Good to know. But seriously. A slim line also minimizes the throughput and
>> therefor the data you can put through it over a timeframe. Doing a full over
>> a timeframe of more than a day is challenging at best. I would not advise it.
>>
>> Rather
>>
>> A) split the backup into small parts that are not backed that often
>> or
>> B) do what lot's of people with slow upload channels do. Do duplicity backup
>> to a local file:// target and rsync or upload it with the software of your
>> preference to the remote site.
>
> or
> C) take filesystem snapshots (I use LVM on Linux), then backup from the
> snapshots.
>
> The advantage of snapshots over option B is that the snapshots are created in
> a matter of seconds, and so represent a much more consistent view of the
> system than even a quick backup to a local file:// target.
>
> The disadvantage is that there's a significant scripting overhead.  Not only
> setting up and tearing down the snapshots, but also just interacting with
> duplicity.  "--rename $snapshotroot /" gets you most of the way, and it
> wouldn't be an option without it, but you also have to change all the
> --includes and --excludes (including filelists) to be relative to the root of
> the snapshot.
>
> But in the end, it works.  Some of my full backups take 10 days to "trickle"
> up to Amazon S3, by my script creates the snapshot for it and all the
> incrementals blocked while the full backup completes.

Still the probability of line reset or something else interrupting duplicity
uploading will significantly raise the probability of resuming gone wrong or
corrupt files in general on the backend. I definitely would not advise to have
duplicity running that long.

Ed: Do you verify your backups from time to time?

ede/duply.net