Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity and partial rsync transfers

From: Eliot Moss
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity and partial rsync transfers
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2011 15:24:48 -0400

On 8/30/2011 1:11 PM, address@hidden wrote:

What some respondents are not realizing (because I probably did not
make it clear), I am not necessarily talking about the case where
duplicity is run a second (or third, or whatever) time, but when the
rsync backend has a network problem and tries to send the *same*
volume file again.

crystal clear to me.

--partial would be very reasonable in such a case.

Not all backends support resuming in protocol so it might proof more complex to
implement....  Ede / duply.net

Hmmm ... at present it retries the rsync command some
number of times before failing out of duplicity. I am
only suggesting that the rsync back end be set up to
use rsync's --partial feature, merely because it is there
and would work transparently to help file transfer
retry for that back end. I agree that with the diversity
of back ends, there is probably not a general solution
to saving a partial transmission when retrying the
transmission of a volume.  (Some ftp's can restart,
but rsync has the capability to check that the already
transmitted bytes are the same (or similar) and to reuse
what was there before, in rsync's normal way of comparing
source and destination.)

So I don't think this is at all hard to implement.  All that
is required is to add this to the rsync command line:

  --partial-dir=.rsync-partial

Best wishes -- Eliot