Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity generating orphaned backup f iles…

From: Ed Blackman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity generating orphaned backup f iles…
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 22:56:49 -0400

On Sun, Apr 15, 2012 at 12:45:31PM +0200, bsd wrote:
I am using ducplicity since quite a long time to do server backup on an FTP
backend. Thank you very much for all your effort developing this very usefull
and versatile tool !

I am using It on FreeBSD and Ubuntu.

One of the server I am backing up has generated thousands of files on the
remote FTP server. I have decided to wipe out everything in order to restart a
fresh backup for all my servers (8 servers more or less).

Are you putting the files for all the servers in the same common directory? Since duplicity doesn't include anything unique to the host in the filenames it generates, you need to make sure you have each backup going to a unique directory. Otherwise backups from different hosts (or different backup sets on the same host) might cause the odd behaviour you're seeing.

--
Ed Blackman