Re: [Duplicity-talk] restore OSError: [Errno 84]

From: Nate Eldredge
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] restore OSError: [Errno 84]
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2012 16:08:24 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 20 Apr 2012, Z F wrote:

I am using ntfs-3g when mounting the partition.

The output of duplicity list-current-files produces a clean name

ppt9B [Rp].ppt

The restore process is trying to make

ppt9B [R\xe9cup\xe9r\xe9].ppt

the real name of the file is most likely (not sure) to be ppt9B\
\[Rÿÿcupÿÿrÿÿ\].ppt

Note strange shaped-letter J in the name which happens three times after R
after p and after r.
Duplicity codes it as \xe9.

I have tried creating a filename with this name on the NTFS partition where I
am restoring and it was created
reproducing the strange J thing...

I don't have any experience with ntfs, but I read the man page for mount.ntfs-3g. It says that it supports any character in a filename except / and \0, but there is a mount option "windows_names" which disallows certain characters (because they might confuse some Windows applications). Is it possible you have that mount option enabled?

Otherwise, for a temporary workaround, it shouldn't be too hard to find the place in the duplicity code where it opens the file, and either make it continue when an error occurs, or else hack it to modify the filename somehow to make it legal. If you were seriously considering making an LVM volume out of loopback devices then this should be a hack of much lower magnitude and well within your capabilities :)

--

Nate Eldredge
address@hidden