Re: [Duplicity-talk] tunneling

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] tunneling
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2015 10:52:58 +0100

On 12.03.2015 10:26, ST wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to make a backup using duplicity (which uses paramiko) and upload
> files to a remote host R2, the problem is, that I can access R2(sftp
> access) only from R1(ssh access). How can I tunnel duplicity through R1
> to R2? I defined (in .ssh/config) Host R2 and ProxyCommand ssh -p XXXX
> -qW %h:%p address@hidden and I can actually do `sftp address@hidden but when
> I run
> `duplicity Dir sftp://address@hidden/` there is a delay and I get
> "BackendException: ssh connection to R2:22 failed: timed out".

paramiko does not implement all functionality of openssh eg.

>Is there
> a way to tell paramiko to use my .ssh/config? Or is there a way to
> tunnel through another host in paramiko?

not afaik.

a workaround could be establishing the tunnel beforehand using openssh

 ssh -L portlocal:host2:port2 host1

and use

 localhost:portlocal

as target thereafter for duplicity.

> My duplicity version 0.6.18, seems not to have --ssh-backend option, so
> I cann't choose pexpect... or am I wrong?

updated to latest stable 0.6.25 and you can select pexpect as you wrote and
everything should work. here's a small mini howto compile/install duplicity
from tarball (under TIPS)

 http://duply.net/wiki/index.php/Duply-documentation

..ede/duply.net