Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity Testing...

From: Michael Terry
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity Testing...
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 08:08:34 +0100

Hello!

On Monday, 22 June 2015, Scott Hannahs <address@hidden> wrote:
> I maintain the “fink” installer for duplicity on Mac OS X.  I have been asked why I haven’t had duplicity run the built in test suite.  I think that the answer is that I have been lazy!  I started looking at it and have a few questions.
>
> The duplicity program has some testing built in when the installer runs in “test” mode.  I am not well versed in python installers by any means.  But it appears that these tests are run with the installer command
>
> setup.py -test
>
> But this depends on some environment variable “python2” that should point to ???
> % setup.py -test
> env: python2: No such file or directory

Ah yes... I think Mac does not use the python2 executable, it's just python there. We could use just python ourselves (though this would conflict with Arch which allows that to point at python3).

Or you could patch it to be python without the 2?

> If I run the tests manually I see that I need the packages “tox” and “pluggy” installed.  Is that correct?  Are there others?

I'm not familiar with us using pluggy, but I don't have the code near me right now. But tox we use (to set up the fake/reproducible python environment for the tests)

> I have tox installed and just (maybe??) made a module to install pluggy.
>
> I am also not clear on how duplicity uses a server during the test or does it just use the local file system?

Just the local system. For tests that would hit a server, we use mocks.