[Duplicity-talk] Only sync remote metadata from primary backup chain

From: Markus Doits
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Only sync remote metadata from primary backup chain
Date: Sat, 1 Jul 2017 13:57:45 +0200

Hello,

I've been using duplicity to backup since 2014 with a full backup every 3
months, so I have some secondary backup chains. Additionally backups go to
multiple separate places (each having multiple backup chains). My local cache
folder is now over 70gb big and I had the idea to delete the cache for the
secondary chains to free up space - since they are only needed when restoring
files, but not for new backups (to the primary chains).

So I deleted the cache files (for example
duplicity-full-signatures.20141106T121637Z.sigtar.gpg) and reclaimed a lot of
space.

But after the next backup run, I saw this in the logs:

Synchronizing remote metadata to local cache...
Copying duplicity-full-signatures.20141106T121637Z.sigtar.gpg to local cache.
Copying duplicity-full-signatures.20150505T234205Z.sigtar.gpg to local cache.
Copying duplicity-full-signatures.20150904T234123Z.sigtar.gpg to local cache.
Copying duplicity-full-signatures.20151205T004128Z.sigtar.gpg to local cache.

Is this normal? If yes, is there an option to skip synchronizing the secondary
backup chain's metadata I don't find in the man page? If I understand it
correctly, I only need them to restore files from those chains, since I will
not do new incremental backups to that secondary backup chains. I'd imagine
duplicity to only sync the metadata in the case I want to restore files from
those chains.

Or is there any other way to reduce the cache usage (besides completely
deleting the remote backups which I don't want).

For reference: I'm using duplicity with duply (http://duply.net/), so maybe
this triggers the behavior I describe if this is not normal behavior.

-- Markus