Re: [Duplicity-talk] duply: Allow to disable gpg key export

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duply: Allow to disable gpg key export
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 15:40:52 +0200

On 18.07.2017 17:59, Mark Grandi wrote:
> I'm confused, is 'duply' shorthand for 'duplicity'?

nope, it's a frontend for duplicity. an extra program helping you to run
duplicity conveniently.

> Is duplicity somehow exporting the gpg private key to somewhere else other
> than where it lives normally (~/.gnupg) ?

no. duplicity does not!

duply however does by exporting copies of the used keys into the profile
folder, which usually live under ~/.duply/ or /etc/duply/. duply tells you when
it uses a key for the first time and that it just exported it to the profile
folder and that you should backup your profile again as it now contains
additional keys.
it does so to help you keep _all_ data needed to restore your backup. all you
need to do is keeping a copy of your profile folder somewhere safe.

..ede/duply.net