Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why is duplicity asking for decryption passphrase o

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Why is duplicity asking for decryption passphrase on --encrypt-sign-key?
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2017 11:16:52 +0200

On 31.07.2017 23:29, Ian Kelling via Duplicity-talk wrote:

> Ian Kelling via Duplicity-talk <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> When I use --encrypt-sign-key, it prompts:
>> "GnuPG passphrase for decryption:"
>>
>> Encrypting with a public key does not use a pass, and just --encrypt-key
>> does not ask this, so whats going on?
>>
>> I'm assuming the passphrase is discarded but I want to make sure that's
>> the case.
>>
>> I'm using 0.7.12-1 from debian.
>
> I added a print statement whenever duplicity calls gpg and confirmed
> that it is not used or needed. It makes sense for duplicity to prompt
> for decryption password in order to do an incremental backup, so I think
> it's just a minor bug that it is prompting when not needed.

hey Ian,

right. duplicity does not let handle gpg binary the passphrase requesting but
instead does so early based on the action you chose. see

http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~duplicity-team/duplicity/0.8-series/view/head:/bin/duplicity#L98

when you are doing an incremental, there is a chance that decryption is needed
(updating the archive dir cache, resuming ...) so it will ask for the
passphrase.

..ede/duply.net